Registration for EMSA’s Indoor Soccer Program is now underway! All registration and payment for this program is handled online through Edmonton Minor Soccer Association at: emsasoccerportal.com. For more information on the indoor program (fees, playing dates, age groups, etc.) visit the website: https://emsawest.com/season-info/indoor-soccer/. Registration for this program ends September 27th, 2020.
Hello Residents of Inglewood,
Spring has arrived – the Edmonton way, of course – with just a bit more snow! 😊 Last year around this time, I provided residents with a mid-term update on League activities. This year, however, things are a bit different as COVID-19 has grabbed everyone’s attention, including the League’s.
As you may have noticed, the League Hall has been closed to the public further to the public health measures that began on March 17, 2020. Inglewood Playground, located next to the hall, is also now closed. All League events and activities involving gatherings have been cancelled, until further notice. At this moment, we don’t have a date set to re-open or to resume larger activities. We will continue to monitor the situation and update this information as soon as we can. Please keep in mind, these local measures are in place to help protect our residents during this pandemic.
In place of our usual activities, the League is looking at how we can help connect residents who are interested in helping with those who might need help (see our next article to learn more).
The league has also been monitoring the various COVID-related announcements from government. Here are just a few of the updates, in case you missed them:
- Gatherings with 15 or more people are no longer allowed. This measure is now legally enforceable.
- The City has closed City Hall, in-person service counters, all playgrounds and recreational centres.
- Transit services (including Bus, LRT and DATS) are FREE until further notice. Riders are asked to enter buses through the back door unless otherwise required.
- Residential utility customers can request and option to defer electricity and natural gas bill payments for 90 days, regardless of the service provider. Call your utility provider directly for details.
- The City is providing an option to delay residential and non-residential property tax payments due on June 30, 2020. Call 311 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- Many banks have options available to defer mortgage payments. Call your bank directly for details.
- The Provincial government has extended expiry dates for Alberta driver’s licences, vehicle registrations and other permits and certificates until May 15, 2020. Check the GoA’s Government Service Changes for this information and other supports on: https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx
- The Federal government has extended income tax return filings to June 1, 2020. Check Canada’s COVID-19 Economic Response Plan for this information and other supports on: https://www.canada.ca/en/department-finance/economic-response-plan.html
Keep in mind this information can change quickly. I encourage residents to stay informed and frequently check information related to government announcements and special initiatives either through the sources noted above or below:
- City of Edmonton: https://www.edmonton.ca/programs_services/emergency_preparedness/covid-19.aspx
- Government of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/news.aspx
- Alberta Health Services: https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/topics/Page16944.aspx
- Government of Canada: https://pm.gc.ca/en/videos
- Public Health Agency of Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health.html
Whether you are… working from home, have been deemed an essential or supply chain worker, off work because of a closure, attempting to homeschool / distance learn with your children, or just trying to find something for you or your kids to pass the time, COVID-19 is taxing and testing all of us. Like many of you, my family and I are at home and slowly adjusting to the circumstances we find ourselves in. Outside of our daily walk, one of the best parts of our day is finding a moment to watch an old episode of Mr. Dressup with our kids.
Staying in all the time takes a toll on the best of us. If you or members of your family are struggling, a reminder there are resources available that can offer some extra support from a distance during this time:
- Kids Help Phone is Canada’s only 24/7, national support service offering professional counselling, information and referrals to young people in both English and French. Call 1-800-668-6868, chat at https://kidshelpphone.ca/ or text 686868.
- Mental Health Helpline offers Albertans support with mental health concerns. Call 1-877-303-2642 for assistance.
- For other helpful services, check out this resource page: https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/amh/Page16759.aspx
Lastly, I know we’ve all heard it before, but it truly can’t be said enough: when you do step out for groceries or go for a walk around the neighbourhood please maintain a 2-meter (or 6 feet) distance from others, wash your hands regularly, and follow the advice of our public health professionals. I know these are trying circumstances, but let’s all do our part to keep our community safe!
Inglewood Community League
Hello Again Inglewood,
A public health emergency was declared by the Province on March 17, 2020. Inglewood Community hall is now closed to the public and all activities in our facility have been cancelled, until further notice. This includes all private hall rentals. Individuals who have booked the hall will be contacted by the League to refund any advance rental payments made. No additional bookings will be accepted at this time.
At this moment, we don’t have a date set to re-open. We will update this information as soon as we can. During this period, we are working to ensure our hall undergoes a thorough cleaning to ensure the safety of the facility for when we reopen.
This is a challenging experience for all of us. The League would like to look at ways to help neighbours keep in touch during this trying time. Let us know if there is something you would like to try or if you have ideas to share with the community through our e-newsletter. Contact us at email@example.com.
Thank you kindly for your attention.
Inglewood Community League
Hello Residents of Inglewood,
There is a lot of information circulating about the Covid-19 virus across both traditional and social media channels. Some of this information can appear confusing at times.
I want to reassure residents that the League is monitoring the situation and will take precautions, as necessary.
To help you and your family stay informed about what’s happening around us, I would like to take a moment to share these important links to information that you may, or may not, already be aware of:
- Public Addresses – Government of Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/news.aspx
- Municipal Updates – City of Edmonton: https://www.edmonton.ca/programs_services/emergency_preparedness/covid-19.aspx
- Local Outbreak Updates and Health Advice – Alberta Health Services: https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/topics/Page16944.as
- National Outbreak and Travel Advisory – Public Health Agency of Canada: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health.html
- Tips on family preparedness – Government of Canada: https://www.getprepared.gc.ca/index-en.aspx
Please consider referring to these sources of information for updates. The best thing to do is to remember to take an extra moment to step up your hand washing, stay informed through credible sources, and follow the guidance of our public institutions to help our broader community to cope with this matter.
Thank you for your attention on this topic.
Inglewood Community League
Come by Inglewood hall (12515 116 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T5M 0V4) between 5:30pm and 7:30pm to finish your child’s registration process. Please start your child’s registration online at: https://emsawest.com/play/register/outdoor-registration/ before attending. Remember to bring these items with you:
- Two copies of the registration confirmation from the EMSA-West portal for each player.
- Your child’s Alberta Health Care Card or birth certificate for verification of birth date.
- If you have not provided payment online, soccer fees, jerseys fees or bonds and/or volunteer bonds can be paid for on this evening by CASH OR CHEQUE ONLY.
In light of the circumstances around coronavirus, it would very much be appreciated if families could avoid bringing unnecessary people to the hall and have only those that are paying attend. Thank you for understanding.